The A38 St Chad’s and Queensway tunnels reopened early morning after refurbishment works for 6 weeks over the summers.
Overnight closures will still be place for the rest of the month.
— Bham City Council (@BhamCityCouncil) September 1, 2014
Works done this year
As explained by Alex Franklin, assistant project manager:
“This year’s work is more technically detailed from a mechanical and electrical point of view”
Here’s a list of the works done this year:
- 27 PA speakers
- 21 CCTV cameras
- 32 vehicle detection cameras
- 48 emergency phones
- 4 digital variable message signs
- Over 160 emergency way-finder signs
- 7 controlled evacuation doors
- Over 40 miles of electrical cabling needed to run the new systems
More news on the tunnels elsewhere today:
More here on the tunnels from last summer.